California supreme court could soon hear case on same-sex marriage
February 27 2004 12:00 AM ET
The California supreme court will soon hear the challenge brought by conservatives to stop same-sex marriage licenses from being issued in San Francisco, the Los Angeles Times reported Thursday.
Groups opposed to marriages for gay and lesbian couples went to the state's highest court Wednesday and asked it to order San Francisco to halt the marriages. State attorney general Bill Lockyer is expected to ask the supreme court on Friday to determine whether the more than 3,200 gay marriages granted by San Francisco are legal, the newspaper reported. If the court granted an order to halt the marriages while lower courts determined their legality, "that would be a significant indication of their likely view on the ultimate merits of the case," McGeorge School of Law professor J. Clark Kelso told the Times.
Santa Clara University law professor Gerald F. Uelmen told the newspaper that it "would be very unusual" for the supreme court to block, even temporarily, gay marriages without agreeing to review the legal issue itself. The petition filed Wednesday asked the court to refrain from immediately deciding the constitutionality of marriage laws and rule only on whether the city has violated state marriage laws.
San Francisco officials contend that the state's marriage laws, which define marriage as the union of a man and a woman, violate the state constitution's equal protection guarantees.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM