Poll: Americans divided over antigay constitutional amendment
February 28 2004 12:00 AM ET
Americans are deeply divided over the proposed amendment to the U.S. Constitution that would ban same-sex marriage, according to a poll released Friday by the gay political group Log Cabin Republicans. "This new poll clearly shows American voters want states to have the authority to decide this difficult issue," said the group's executive director, Patrick Guerriero. "Voters are concerned about creating jobs and jump-starting the economy. They don't want our politicians using the Constitution as a political tool to discriminate against gay and lesbian families."
Out of 1,000 respondents, half oppose a constitutional amendment that would take away individual states' power to pass laws governing same-sex unions. Forty-two percent support the proposed amendment. Even among frequent churchgoers and Bush voters, almost 40% oppose the antifamily amendment. Among those voters who describe themselves as most concerned about moral issues, one third are opposed to an amendment. Almost 75% of likely voters, including two thirds of Bush voters, believe this amendment is being used only as a political football.
Only 3% of voters cite "banning gay marriage" as an issue priority for them in deciding their presidential vote. Nine other issues are more important to voters. "The president would be wise to focus his reelection campaign on the issues that matter most," said Guerriero. "Clearly this amendment isn't one of them."
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 46 sec ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 23 min 38 sec ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 31 min 6 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 39 min 11 sec ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 41 min 46 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 49 min 54 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 2 hours 9 min ago