Ammiano endorses Kucinich
March 02 2004 12:00 AM ET
Openly gay San Francisco supervisor Tom Ammiano has endorsed long-shot Democratic presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich. "Dr. Howard Dean's decision to drop active pursuit of the Democratic nomination removes from the presidential campaign an articulate voice against the Bush administration's reckless foreign policy," Ammiano said. "Fortunately, Rep. Dennis Kucinich remains to continue to call the Administration to task. Kucinich has always seen the White House's fraudulent 'weapons of mass destruction' claims for what they are, has voted against the war against Iraq in the House of Representatives, and has released a plan to end the American occupation within 90 days."
And Kucinich has been exceedingly pro-gay, Ammiano and other gay rights activists point out. While stumping for votes in Massachusetts last week, the congressman from Ohio asserted that federal law must protect gay and lesbian individuals because this is a civil rights issue that cannot be left to the states. To suggest that same-sex marriage is a state issue, he said, is synonymous to saying that the decision to extend civil rights to women and people of color should ultimately be left to the states.
With regard to President Bush's endorsement of a federal constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, Kucinich has issued the following statement: "I oppose the amendment. Equal protection of the law, including the right to marry, must be made available to all Americans regardless of race, color, creed, sexual or gender orientation. The amendment as supported by the president is a continuation of his divisive policies, which are not worthy of a free nation or a freedom-loving people."
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM