Gay religious group to protest trial of lesbian minister
March 03 2004 1:00 AM ET
A national gay religious advocacy group said it will hold a nonviolent civil disobedience rally prior to the start of the trial of the Reverend Karen Dammann, an openly lesbian Methodist pastor who admitted to church leaders that she is in a covenantal relationship with another woman. On March 17 the United Methodist Church will conduct the trial in Bothell, Wash., against Dammann, who is being charged with violating the United Methodist Book of Discipline because she is a "self-avowed practicing homosexual."
Soulforce, a national interfaith movement committed to ending spiritual violence perpetuated by religious policies and teachings against gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered people, said it will try to stop the proceedings. The group will be block the entrance of the church to prevent jurors and church officials from entering. "It is so heartbreaking that the United Methodist Church, my church, is sending a message to the world that if you are gay or lesbian and you lie about who you are and who you love, you can serve in silence, but if you tell the truth, we are going to punish you," declared Marylee Fithian, cochair of the Soulforce United Methodist Denominational Team from California. "We feel we have no choice but to try to prevent the trial from taking place."
Soulforce emphasizes that it teaches and employs the nonviolent principles of Gandhi and Martin Luther King to the liberation of sexual minorities. "It is not a crime to admit to being in a committed relationship," said the Reverend Mel White, founder of Soulforce. "It is not a sin to be homosexual. God's greatest commandment is to love one another. We believe that the crime here is being committed by the United Methodist Church, because the church is denying the worth and dignity of Karen Dammann and all of God's gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people."
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 20 min 23 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 25 min 33 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 1 hour 43 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2 hours 22 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 2 hours 29 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 2 hours 52 min ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 1:39 PM