House committee confirms hearings on constitutional amendment
March 06 2004 1:00 AM ET
House Judiciary Committee chairman F. James Sensenbrenner Jr. (R-Wis.) confirmed on Thursday that
his panel will examine whether an amendment to the U.S. Constitution is needed to preserve traditional marriage. Sensenbrenner said a series of at least five hearings on the subject would begin this month and last perhaps until July. "The concept of marriage is older than our Constitution," he told reporters.
"It is older than our nation. It is older than any nation on the earth. Yet today a few judges are being asked to rewrite thousands of years of human history and redefine the simple paradigm of traditional marriage."
Sensenbrenner did not indicate whether he supported a constitutional amendment now, but he said traditional marriage has been practiced by virtually every race and religion for thousands of years. He said such marriages have been the "basic block of government" throughout the history of the human race. No constitutional government can replace "mom and dad governing what their kids can do and what goes on under their roof," he said.
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 20 min 50 sec ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 27 min 10 sec ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 50 min 36 sec ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 59 min 22 sec ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 1 hour 6 min ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 1 hour 48 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 2 hours 20 min ago