House committee confirms hearings on constitutional amendment
March 06 2004 12:00 AM ET
House Judiciary Committee chairman F. James Sensenbrenner Jr. (R-Wis.) confirmed on Thursday that
his panel will examine whether an amendment to the U.S. Constitution is needed to preserve traditional marriage. Sensenbrenner said a series of at least five hearings on the subject would begin this month and last perhaps until July. "The concept of marriage is older than our Constitution," he told reporters.
"It is older than our nation. It is older than any nation on the earth. Yet today a few judges are being asked to rewrite thousands of years of human history and redefine the simple paradigm of traditional marriage."
Sensenbrenner did not indicate whether he supported a constitutional amendment now, but he said traditional marriage has been practiced by virtually every race and religion for thousands of years. He said such marriages have been the "basic block of government" throughout the history of the human race. No constitutional government can replace "mom and dad governing what their kids can do and what goes on under their roof," he said.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM