N.J. town council reluctantly votes to stop gay marriage
March 11 2004 1:00 AM ET
The Asbury Park, N.J., city council voted Wednesday to stop taking applications from gay couples seeking marriage licenses, but it will file a lawsuit seeking a court ruling allowing the marriages to resume. The vote was 5-0. The council met behind closed doors Wednesday morning after the state attorney general ordered city officials late Tuesday to stop accepting applications from gay couples or face prosecution.
Councilman John M. Loffredo said the council acted reluctantly. "I've had friends who were beaten for no other reason than they were gay. For us to deny anyone the right to marry is wrong," he said. Council members said they would seek a declaratory judgment affirming that a same-sex marriage ceremony performed Monday by the city's deputy mayor was legal and that the city could continue issuing marriage licenses to gays.
No timetable was set. In the meantime, officials said, the city would accept no more applications and consider all pending applications denied. The council voted not to expend public funds on the lawsuit but to seek funding from unspecified gay rights groups.
In letters to city officials sent Tuesday afternoon, Attorney General Peter C. Harvey threatened prosecution if they did not cease and desist in the issuance of marriage licenses to same-sex couples. The action came at the close of a day in which more than a dozen gay and lesbian couples descended upon City Hall in hopes that they could receive licenses and marry before Harvey made good on promises to invalidate the unions.
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 49 min 52 sec ago
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 2 hours 14 sec ago
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM