Bush administration involvement in Scouts case disallowed
March 20 2004 1:00 AM ET
A federal judge has denied the Bush administration's request to get involved in a case about whether the Boy Scouts of America should lose its lease of a public park in San Diego because of the organization's policy of barring gay men from membership and leadership positions. Earlier this month, the Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division submitted a brief supporting the Scouts in a four-year-long court fight over a lease on Fiesta Island, a public park where the BSA runs a youth aquatic center. The American Civil Liberties Union contends the Scouts should be evicted. "The government should be fighting discrimination and not aiding it," ACLU attorney M. Andrew Woodmansee said.
U.S. district judge Napoleon Jones rejected the Justice Department's argument that the outcome of the case would affect another involving Scouts in Illinois, where the government is a defendant. In a ruling issued Monday, Jones also said the BSA was adequately represented and does not require the government's assistance. Civil Rights Division spokeswoman Casey Stavropoulos said Wednesday, "We are disappointed the government will not have the opportunity to be heard and participate in this matter." A spokeswoman for the Boy Scouts did not respond to messages left seeking comment.
Although Jones allowed the Fiesta Island lease dispute to proceed to trial, last year he found that the city acted improperly by leasing the Scouts 18 acres in another public park, ruling the lease was an implicit endorsement of the Scouts' "inherently religious programs and practices." Both sides will make arguments regarding the San Diego city park lease in court next month.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 9 min 26 sec ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM