Oregon county postpones issuing gay marriage licenses
March 24 2004 1:00 AM ET
Faced with the threat of a lawsuit, an Oregon county that had been poised to become the state's second to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples has now backed off until the courts intervene.
Commissioners in Benton County, home to Oregon State University and the liberal city of Corvallis, decided Monday to stop issuing all marriage licenses until there is a court ruling on whether gay marriage is legal in Oregon. Attorney General Hardy Myers sent Benton County commissioners a letter that the state is "well-positioned to initiate a lawsuit were they to proceed as proposed," said Kevin Neely, Myers's spokesman.
Benton County commissioners then later said they were "respecting the attorney general's request" by postponing the issuing of marriage licenses to same-sex couples. The county had been set to follow in the footsteps of Multnomah County, the state's most populous, which has issued more than 2,400 licenses to gay and lesbian couples since March 3.
Gay-marriage advocates said they are disappointed. "It's unfortunate that the attorney general put them in a position where they felt they had no choice but to stop issuing marriage licenses altogether," said Roey Thorpe, executive director of Basic Rights Oregon.
A lawsuit intended to test the legality of the issue was to be filed in Multnomah County circuit court by noon Wednesday, said Benton County commissioner Linda Modrell. The case is expected to go to the Oregon supreme court.
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Commentary Op-ed: The Policies Keeping Trans People From Military Service 1 hour 28 min ago
- Politics A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade 3:00 AM
- Love and Sex WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video 2:19 AM
- Religion LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades 2:10 AM
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM