Oregon county postpones issuing gay marriage licenses
March 24 2004 12:00 AM ET
Faced with the threat of a lawsuit, an Oregon county that had been poised to become the state's second to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples has now backed off until the courts intervene.
Commissioners in Benton County, home to Oregon State University and the liberal city of Corvallis, decided Monday to stop issuing all marriage licenses until there is a court ruling on whether gay marriage is legal in Oregon. Attorney General Hardy Myers sent Benton County commissioners a letter that the state is "well-positioned to initiate a lawsuit were they to proceed as proposed," said Kevin Neely, Myers's spokesman.
Benton County commissioners then later said they were "respecting the attorney general's request" by postponing the issuing of marriage licenses to same-sex couples. The county had been set to follow in the footsteps of Multnomah County, the state's most populous, which has issued more than 2,400 licenses to gay and lesbian couples since March 3.
Gay-marriage advocates said they are disappointed. "It's unfortunate that the attorney general put them in a position where they felt they had no choice but to stop issuing marriage licenses altogether," said Roey Thorpe, executive director of Basic Rights Oregon.
A lawsuit intended to test the legality of the issue was to be filed in Multnomah County circuit court by noon Wednesday, said Benton County commissioner Linda Modrell. The case is expected to go to the Oregon supreme court.
- Travel PHOTOS: Amazing Gay Rodeo Exhibit in Indianapolis December 21 2013 6:34 PM
- Media Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees December 21 2013 5:37 PM
- Media Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet? December 21 2013 3:03 PM
- Media VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers December 21 2013 2:25 PM
- Business Lockheed Martin Cuts Off Money to Antigay Boy Scouts December 21 2013 1:10 PM
- Transgender LGBT Activist Goes Missing, Community Rallies December 21 2013 12:08 PM
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill December 21 2013 6:00 AM