Iowa senate kills amendment banning gay marriage
March 25 2004 12:00 AM ET
The Iowa senate on Tuesday narrowly defeated a resolution that would have called for a state constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriages. Lawmakers debated whether the resolution, which defined marriage as a union between only one man and one woman, was needed.
Sen. Matt McCoy argued that there's already an Iowa law that recognizes only marriage between a man and a woman. A voter referendum on the amendment would have cost the state about $1.4 million "to outlaw something that's already illegal in Iowa," he said. McCoy called it mean-spirited and discriminatory legislation.
Sen. Ken Veenstra sponsored the resolution. "This resolution is not about discrimination. It's not even about the legislature creating a new law or mandating a change in the law," he said. "It's about defending a 2,000-year-plus definition of marriage that has been a foundation of our society."
Gov. Tom Vilsack has said a constitutional amendment isn't needed and that lawmakers should be trying to solve larger problems in Iowa such as how to better fund education and health care. Curt Stamp, 37, of Des Moines, who is gay, said the resolution could have caused larger hurdles if he ever decides to marry and wants to have the same economic and legal rights with a partner as married couples currently are allowed. "It comes down to equal treatment under the law," he said.
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 32 min 8 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 1 hour 8 min ago
- Media Michelle Malkin Sells Twitter Aggregator to Christian Media Company 1 hour 11 min ago
- Parenting Northern Ireland Lifts Ban on Same-Sex Couples Adopting 1 hour 37 min ago
- Women WATCH: Behold! Tina Fey & Amy Poehler Are Back in First Golden Globes Promo 1 hour 49 min ago
- Entertainment News Carmen Carrera & Her Victoria's Secret Dream 2 hours 46 min ago
- Politics India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban 11:55 AM