Kentucky lawmakers block votes on antigay amendment
March 25 2004 1:00 AM ET
The Kentucky house, in a tumultuous session on Tuesday, blocked repeated attempts to force a vote on a proposed constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriages. Supporters pledged to keep pushing for a vote to get the amendment to the November ballot. The general assembly has four days left in which to pass bills.
"We're going to continue this fight with every ounce of energy we have until we adjourn on Monday," said Rep. Jeff Hoover, the minority floor leader, who led two parliamentary charges to force a vote.
The senate passed the proposed amendment. An affirmative vote in the house would send it to the ballot. If ratified by voters, the Kentucky constitution would be amended to define marriage as a union between one man and one woman.
A Kentucky statute already prohibits same-sex marriages. Proponents of an amendment say it would cement the ban against court challenges. Andrea Hildebran, executive director of the antiamendment Kentucky Fairness Alliance, hailed the blocked vote. "It's wrong to discriminate against anyone in our society, and I'm glad that was the ultimate message out of today," she said.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- 22 Russians Who We Won't Let Vladimir Putin Forget Were LGBT
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 13 min 3 sec ago
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 26 min 18 sec ago
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 38 min 57 sec ago
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 41 min 38 sec ago
- Women WATCH: 7 New Orphan Black Season 2 Teasers to Hold You Over! 44 min 43 sec ago
- Television Looking GIF-cap: Season 1 Finale 2 hours 15 min ago
- Books Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel 2 hours 18 min ago