"Life partners" bill advances in Maryland
March 31 2004 12:00 AM ET
The Maryland house of delegates on Monday gave final approval to a bill that would permit same-sex couples to register as "life partners" with the state health department, The Washington Post reports. The registry would grant gay and lesbian couples some of the state-level rights afforded to married couples, including hospital visitation and the right to make medical decisions for a partner. The measure, which advocates called a first step on the road to civil unions, passed by a surprisingly strong, bipartisan vote of 103-30 after it was expanded to include any unmarried couple regardless of sexual orientation. Those likely to benefit include elderly couples who choose not to remarry because it could jeopardize pension and other benefits from a deceased spouse.
Gay rights activists said they were astonished by the level of support the bill received, at a time when most states are focusing on how to prohibit same-sex unions in the wake of court decisions favoring gay marriage, the Post reported. Nearly two dozen Republicans voted for the measure, including the author of a failed proposal to amend the state constitution to ban same-sex marriage. Some socially conservative Democrats also voted for the bill, including a Baptist minister from Baltimore who at first had tried to kill it. The measure now moves to the senate, where advocates are hoping for a favorable reception as the general assembly moves into the final two weeks of its annual legislative session. Sen. Paula C. Hollinger (D-Baltimore County), chairman of the education, health, and environmental affairs committee, said the measure should sail through the committee. If the senate approves the bill, it would be sent to Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. for his signature. Ehrlich, a Republican, has spoken out forcefully against same-sex marriage. But his communications director, Paul E. Schurick, said he is not sure whether Ehrlich would reject the move to create the registry.
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- IOC Head Warns Athletes Against Protesting in Sochi
- Parenting Forum Shows Key Role of Parents in Winning Rights for Gays and Lesbians in China 0 sec ago
- Television Meet the New Queens of RuPaul's Drag Race 55 min 11 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Real-Life Girlfriends Bria & Chrissy on '10 Things Lesbians Do on Saturdays' 57 min 26 sec ago
- Travel Stockholm Pride Sent an FU to Putin 1 hour 8 min ago
- Sports WATCH: Sportscaster Denies Calling Kansas Jayhawks 'Gayhawks' 1 hour 39 min ago
- Music 6 New Christmas Albums To Get You In the Holiday Mood 2 hours 6 min ago
- Film George Takei Documentary to Premiere at Sundance 2 hours 7 min ago