Lesbian teens sentenced to life for killing grandmother
April 15 2004 12:00 AM ET
Two Detroit-area lesbian teenagers convicted in the beating death of a grandmother who opposed their relationship were sentenced Tuesday to spend the rest of their lives in prison. Larketa Collier, 16, and Sharon Patterson, 17, were given the mandatory sentence of life in prison with no chance of parole, the Wayne County prosecutor's office said. Two circuit court juries last month found them guilty of first-degree murder in the September 17 death of Bertha Atkins, Collier's 64-year-old grandmother.
- Artist Spotlight: Roberta Marrero
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- PHOTOS: Meet the First Trans Man to Win a Gay Games Gold in Powerlifting
- Op-ed: The Trouble With Teen Wolf
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Marriage Decision: 'No Need For Us to Rush'
- WATCH: Antigay Billboard Sparks Controversy in Tenn.