Three men indicted in killing of N.C. man
April 21 2004 12:00 AM ET
Three men, one of them a high school athlete, were indicted Monday in Durham, N.C., on charges of kidnapping, robbing, and killing a Franklinton man and dumping his body into the Eno River two months ago.
Authorities identified the three as Matthew Lawrence Taylor, 16, a Northern Durham High School student and football player; Shelton Deangelo Epps, 21; and Derrick Arness Maiden Jr., 19.
Durham County prosecutor Freda Black said Taylor, Epps, and Maiden will be prosecuted for first-degree murder, for which the only possible penalties are death or life in prison without parole. Black said she probably will seek life sentences for all three.
Taylor, Epps, and Maiden are accused of luring Sean Ethan Owen, 23, to Durham through an Internet chat line and cell phone conversations. According to Black, Owen was led to believe that a marijuana transaction or gay liaison would take place, but the suspects actually intended to steal his car. Owen reportedly was shot twice in the head, beaten, strangled, and then thrown into the Eno River at Old Farm City Park.
Young soccer players found Owen's body in the Eno River on February 21. Epps said in a written statement to authorities that Taylor was the "ringleader" and the triggerman. However, Taylor and Maiden told officers that Epps was the shooter. No trial date has been set.
- Women This is the Meryl Streep/Hillary Clinton Selfie You Need In Your Life Right Now! 9 min ago
- Women WATCH: AI's Out Performer MK Nobilette Does 'To Make You Feel My Love' 1 hour 12 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Married British Same-Sex Couples Are Now Legal 1 hour 26 min ago
- Travel Forget J.Lo, Windy City Gay Idol is the Hot Ticket 1 hour 29 min ago
- Parenting How Every Parent Should Respond to A Child Coming Out 1 hour 44 min ago
- Pride Will Lithuania Ban Pride Parades? 1 hour 45 min ago
- Women WATCH: Meet Orphan Black's New Clone! 1 hour 46 min ago