Westminster school board within law by refusing to protect transgendered students
April 20 2004 11:00 PM ET
The head of the California Department of Education reluctantly determined Monday that a school district's policy regarding discrimination based on "perceived gender" is technically legal, but he issued a stern warning to three antigay trustees who tried to bypass state-mandated protections for transgendered students.
The decision spares the Westminster School District from losing a large portion of its state funding. A majority on the school board had refused to adopt the state's version of an antidiscrimination policy intended to protect transgendered students, claiming that extending protections to such a group was immoral.
In a letter to the district's board president, superintendent Jack O'Connell said he's concerned that the district's policy indicates an unwillingness to accept the state's mandate. "In fact it appears the district may intend to deny protection from discrimination and harassment to a class of students that the law clearly protects," O'Connell wrote.
Officials had warned that the district could lose up to $10 million in funding if it was found to be out of compliance with state law. The Westminster district serves 10,000 students in Orange County.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Op-ed: How a Symbol Changed Hearts and Minds
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM