Passengers tip boat while trying to see gay nudists
May 03 2004 11:00 PM ET
Some 60 partygoers in Austin who were hoping to catch a glimpse of nude sunbathers tipped over their double-decker barge Sunday when they crowded to one side of the vessel. They were rescued from Lake Travis, including two participants who sustained minor injuries, authorities said.
The accident happened during Splash Day, a semiannual event hosted at the clothing-optional area by the Austin Tavern Guild, an association of gay and lesbian bars. Witnesses said that all of the people aboard the barge moved to one side after it had been tied up at Hippie Hollow, the only public nude beach in Texas, creating uneven distribution and making it tilt.
"As the captain was running upstairs to tell them to move away from the railing, it capsized," dumping its passengers into about 39 feet of water, Travis County sheriff's spokesman Roger Wade said. Krista Umscheid, a spokeswoman for the Lower Colorado River Authority, said everyone aboard was safe.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth December 05 2013 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice December 05 2013 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year December 05 2013 6:00 PM