Texas high school reverses stance on banning same-sex prom couples
May 07 2004 11:00 PM ET
Officials for a central Texas high school said Friday they had suspended their policy of banning same-sex prom dates.
A civil liberties group had been asking the principal of Lago Vista High School to reconsider the policy after 16-year-old Sherrell Ingram, a student who helped organize the prom, noticed a sign detailing the rule against same-sex prom ticket purchases, just as her mother was about to buy tickets for her and a best friend. The girls have been best friends since the sixth grade. Ingram said she is not a lesbian but thinks the policy discriminates against her gay friends.
The People for the American Way Foundation said it planned to file a lawsuit if the school did not change its policy. “Sherrell and her mom are an example for all of us," said Judith Schaeffer of the group. "They saw an injustice and they took a stand. We couldn’t be more pleased for them and for the students of Lago Vista High. This is a victory for all the students and for common sense and tolerance."
Added Ingram's mother: "I'm delighted with this result. Now Sherrell can concentrate on other pressing issues, like finding a pair of shoes to match her prom dress."
In a letter sent on Friday, the lawyer for the school district wrote stated that while the district does not agree with PFAWF’s analysis of the legal issues, the district will "suspend the prom attendance guidelines for the remainder of this year until the district has an opportunity to further evaluate its role in the sponsorship of school social activities."
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 20 min 26 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 1 hour 14 min ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 1 hour 31 min ago
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 1 hour 39 min ago
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 2 hours 4 min ago
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 2 hours 7 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 2 hours 41 min ago