Log Cabin rolls out anti-marriage amendment ad campaign in Colorado
May 11 2004 11:00 PM ET
In its continuing expansion of an advertising campaign critical of the proposed Federal Marriage Amendment, which would enshrine antigay discrimination in the U.S. Constitution, the gay political group Log Cabin Republicans will begin airing TV spots on Wednesday in Colorado. The commercial includes excerpts from then-vice presidential candidate Dick Cheney's 2000 debate with Sen. Joe Lieberman in which Cheney made references to the legal recognition of same-sex relationships. "That matter is regulated by the states," he said. "I think different states are likely to come to different conclusions, and that's appropriate. I don't think there should necessarily be a federal policy in this area."
Log Cabin's commercial, which is part of a $1 million campaign of print ads and lobbying efforts, will coincide with testimony from Colorado congresswoman Marilyn Musgrave, the House sponsor of the proposed amendment, in support of the measure before the House Judiciary Committee. "Real issues that Colorado families care about are being ignored by Congresswoman Musgrave and Senator [Wayne] Allard," said Log Cabin Republicans executive director Patrick Guerriero. "While Congresswoman Musgrave spends time testifying on how to write discrimination into our sacred Constitution, families in her district are focused on fighting the war on terror, supporting our troops in Iraq, and continuing to jump-start the economy."
A nonbinding resolution to express the Colorado legislature's support for the proposed FMA was defeated by a vote of 37-28 in April. Because of the role of state legislatures in ratifying constitutional amendments, the defeat of the resolution was seen as a rebuke of Musgrave's effort.
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 31 min 47 sec ago
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM