Popular Taiwanese TV host comes out as transgendered
May 21 2004 12:00 AM ET
Famous Taiwanese auction host Liching, known to her fans as Queen of Auction, confessed Wednesday that 20 years ago she was a man, reports the China Post. Liching, who boasts that she sold $200 million worth of products in an hour, said she was a male for the first 20 years of her life.
Born Wu Chung-ming in Chingshui in 1962, Liching underwent surgery at the age of 22 and then had her domestic registration changed to reflect that she is female. She acquired a new identification card and registered her name with the government. The TV host did not release her registered name to the press.
Liching worked as a model after she lost her melodic voice in a traffic accident. It was her voice, which is now husky, that gave her the opportunity to become a star on the Eastern TV Auction Channel.
Little Dragon, her agent, said Liching's husky voice attracted thousands of buyers and made her the top seller for the Eastern TV group. The sales records Liching achieved, according to her agent, included 100,000 pairs of underwear in an hour, 700 notebook PCs in 85 minutes, 380 one-carat diamonds in 80 minutes, and 265 vanettes in 65 minutes.
Her performance prompted an Eastern TV spokesperson to announce that Liching's sex change will not entail a change in her contract. "The change has nothing to do with her performance," said the spokesperson.
In 2002 Liching married a man 14 years her junior.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 41 min 45 sec ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 2 hours 4 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 2 hours 20 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 2 hours 37 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 2 hours 55 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 2 hours 57 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM