Coors family executive and GOP candidate supports FMA
May 25 2004 11:00 PM ET
Beer executive Peter Coors and former U.S. representative Bob Schaffer held their first debate Monday as part of the Colorado GOP Senate race, with both promising to bring morality to government. Coors said he will follow the Ten Commandments--"The Big Ten, I call them"--when deciding if legislation is fair. Coors took a strong stance against same-sex marriage, saying he supports a constitutional amendment to effectively ban the possibility. Previously Coors said he supported the definition of marriage as a union between a man and a woman but was not sure it belonged in the U.S. Constitution. He also helped win benefits for gay workers at his family's Golden, Colo., brewery.
The race is being watched nationally because it could help decide control of the Senate, where Republicans hold a 51-48 majority, with one Democratic-leaning independent. The seat will be open because GOP senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell, who was considered a lock for reelection, abruptly announced his retirement earlier this year, citing health concerns. John Straayer, a Colorado State University political science professor, said both candidates are focusing on the conservative core of the Republican Party.
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: 'Idiotic' or 'Important?'
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- 29 Hot Gifts for the Homo Homebody
- Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013
- Marriage Equality Virginia AG Asks Court to Dismiss Marriage Ban Challenge 23 min 5 sec ago
- Health WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' 1 hour 12 min ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 29 Hot Gifts for the Homo Homebody UPDATED: 1 hour 19 min ago
- Style Meet Sexy German Designer Working With Alan Cumming & ARMANI 1 hour 45 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Consumer Reports Now Ranks HIV Meds 2 hours 31 min ago
- Music 10 Singles You May Have Missed This Year 10:18 AM
- Acceptance Matters Confronting the 'Glitter Mafia' 10:00 AM