Bush rallies against gay marriage, raises $2.2 million
June 02 2004 11:00 PM ET
President Bush likened his Democratic rival John Kerry to the quickly changing weather in Colorado, telling supporters at a Republican Party fund-raiser that his opponent stands on all sides of all issues. "The American president must speak clearly and mean what he says," Bush said Tuesday night at a Denver event that raised $2.2 million for the Republican Party.
On Wednesday the president planned to meet with James Dobson, head of the conservative Christian group Focus on the Family. Dobson is a leading supporter of a proposed constitutional amendment that would ban legal recognition of same-sex marriage. Floyd Ciruli, an independent political analyst in Denver, said Bush is using the trip to reassure conservative voters he still supports their causes and to make sure they turn out at the polls. Ciruli said Bush is also sending a message that he is not backing down on same-sex marriage.
Supporters lined Bush's motorcade route, but as he left the fund-raiser several dozen antiwar protesters chanted, "No more Bush."
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM