Canadian Anglicans affirm same-sex unions
June 03 2004 11:00 PM ET
The Anglican Church of Canada approved a measure on Thursday to "affirm the integrity and sanctity of committed adult same-sex relationships." The move stops short of authorizing dioceses to hold same-sex blessing ceremonies but is still likely to complicate efforts aimed at unifying the 77 million-member Anglican Communion. The worldwide Anglican body is deeply divided over homosexuality.
Delegates to a national church meeting handed the victory to supporters of marriage equality as a consolation prize--the morning after they voted to delay any national go-ahead on church blessing ceremonies for same-sex couples till 2007 and possibly 2010. The "integrity and sanctity" measure was approved by a show of hands. World Anglican unity was one reason widely cited for the delay on the same-sex rituals bill, which would have authorized the ceremonies under a so-called local option--meaning each diocese could decide for itself whether to offer them.
The Canadian church action comes in the midst of a federal election campaign in which full-fledged gay marriage is an issue. The "sanctity" measure also goes beyond wording put on paper by the Episcopal Church in the United States. The American church passed a measure last year acknowledging that some dioceses are allowing same-sex blessing ceremonies but not affirming the practice as a national policy. The last-minute "sanctity" measure was introduced by Canon Garth Bulmer from the Ottawa diocese. The Reverend Dennis Drainville of the Quebec diocese, who seconded Bulmer's motion, told delegates the church needs to express compassion. "This says to thousands of people that 'We love you, we include you among the faithful, we seek to live with you, to work with you, to know you,' " he said.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 7:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 5:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM