Lambda Legal files antigay discrimination lawsuit against Foot Locker
June 30 2004 12:00 AM ET
The Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund filed a lawsuit against Foot Locker on Tuesday in Columbia, S.C., alleging that a former employee of the retailer had been subjected to antigay harassment by coworkers and supervisors.
"Kevin Dunbar was subjected to a nightmarish workplace and then fired because he is gay," said Greg Nevins, a senior staff attorney for Lambda Legal. "Foot Locker could have addressed this problem, as it clearly promises employees in its policies, but instead chose to ignore it and make it worse. Our client followed the rules to address the discrimination, and all it got him was a pink slip."
According to the suit, when Dunbar formally complained about his treatment, he was promised confidentiality, but other coworkers found out about the harassment. Dunbar was transferred to a different store location and his new store manager refused to shake his hand and said, "I heard about your shit; I don't want your faggot ass in my store."
"Once I became a target, every morning when I woke up and I was scheduled for work, I knew that my supervisors and coworkers would verbally insult and degrade me, probably in front of customers. At best, they'd talk behind my back and make my every task twice as difficult--just because I'm gay,"
Dunbar said in a statement.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 2 min 25 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 1 hour 20 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 1 hour 59 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 2 hours 5 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 2 hours 29 min ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 2 hours 38 min ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 2 hours 44 min ago