Vatican document reportedly criticizes feminism, gay marriage
July 31 2004 12:00 AM ET
An upcoming Vatican statement on the roles of men and women criticizes feminism for what it calls an attempt to ignore the biological differences between the genders, German and Italian media reported Friday.
The 37-page document, expected to be released by the Vatican on Saturday, also calls on governments "to manage conditions so that women do not need to neglect their families if they want to pursue a job," according to the German daily Bild.
The Italian daily Corriere della Sera said the document attacks the "ideology of gender" and stresses that a woman "is not a copy of a man." It repeats the prohibition on women's becoming priests but suggests that women should have an important role in the church, the paper said. The document also addresses homosexuality, Bild reported, saying that "God wanted a Christian marriage, a marriage between a man and a woman" and not between people of the same gender. The document was written by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the guardian of church orthodoxy as head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, the reports said.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- A Letter to My Partners
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 46 min 37 sec ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 53 min 26 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 56 min 27 sec ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 2 hours 18 min ago
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 2 hours 32 min ago
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 2 hours 44 min ago
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 2 hours 47 min ago