Antigay amendment may head to voters in Ohio
August 03 2004 12:00 AM ET
Supporters of an Ohio constitutional amendment to ban civil unions or a similar legal status to unmarried couples have enough signatures to get the proposal on the November ballot, the group's president said Monday. Citizens for Community Values will submit the petitions to Secretary of State J. Kenneth Blackwell by Wednesday's deadline, said Phil Burress, president of the Cincinnati-based group. The group was waiting for overnight delivery of more completed petition forms but is confident the total is more than the required 323,000 to qualify for the November 2 election. The proposal, commonly referred to as a gay marriage ban, applies to all unmarried couples and would prohibit any legal status "that intends to approximate the design, qualities, significance, or effect of marriage."
Amendment opponents will review the petitions carefully to ensure that the rules were followed, said Alan Melamed, campaign manager for Ohioans Protecting the Constitution, a political action committee formed last month. The group is planning its campaign, including radio and television ads, if enough signatures of registered Ohio voters are verified. "If they follow the rules, they're perfectly entitled to be on the ballot," Melamed said.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 1 hour 8 min ago
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 2 hours 9 min ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM