Football player refutes comment about his sexuality
August 11 2004 11:00 PM ET
Cleveland Browns quarterback Jeff Garcia says a comment made by ex-teammate Terrell Owens, of the Philadelphia Eagles, implying that he is gay is ridiculous and untrue. In an interview with Playboy magazine that hits newsstands Friday, Owens was asked if he thinks Garcia is gay. Owens responded: "Like my boy tells me: If it looks like a rat and smells like a rat, by golly, it is a rat."
Garcia responded to Owens's comment after practice Wednesday without mentioning the wide receiver by name. "It is really a waste of my time to sit here and to have to answer to such ridiculous, untrue comments that are made out there in the world today," Garcia said. He noted that it has been reported that he has a girlfriend and has had girlfriends in the past. "So many people know my situation here. It has never been a secret," Garcia said.
Owens backed off his comment to Playboy after the Eagles' practice Tuesday, saying, "I didn't say that he was gay. Like I said, the conversation and interview was loose, and from my knowledge I'm not sure if Jeff is gay or not." Garcia and Owens had a contentious relationship in San Francisco with the outspoken wide receiver often complaining that Garcia didn't throw him the ball enough. The 49ers released Garcia and traded Owens to Philadelphia in the off-season.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 1 hour 38 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM