Bail denied for lesbians accused of killing grandparents
August 19 2004 11:00 PM ET
Two teen girls accused of killing one of the girls' grandparents were denied bond on Thursday. Prosecutors argued that Sandy Ketchum, 16, and Holly Harvey, 15, should stay in jail because they are a flight risk and because of the severity of the crime. Fayette County, Ga., superior court judge Paschal English did not explain his reason for denying bond. Harvey is accused of recruiting Ketchum, her lesbian lover, to help kill her grandparents, Carl and Sarah Collier, in their home on August 2, police said. Police say the elderly couple, with whom Harvey lived, had ordered her to stop seeing the girl and to stop using drugs. The teens were arrested a day after the stabbing deaths at the home of two boys they had met on Tybee Island, a five-hour drive away.
Prosecutors on Thursday also added the charge of armed robbery to the murder charges the girls already are facing. Lloyd Walker, Ketchum's attorney, said the legal system had failed his client. She has been in and out of the juvenile justice system and had even failed drug tests with little consequence, he said. He also said she had been failed by her mother, who ignored orders that Ketchum was not supposed to have contact with Harvey.
Ketchum's eyes were puffy as she entered the courtroom. Her shackles clanked together as she occasionally wiped away tears. Harvey rested her head on a table during the entire hearing--looking up only to speak with her attorney, Judy Chidester. The attorney later said the girl was upset that no one testified on her behalf. Chidester said Harvey's mother was in prison at the time of the stabbings and that her father, a quadriplegic, had little involvement with the child. She acknowledged even while asking the judge to grant bond that there may be nowhere for Harvey to stay. Family members did not comment after the trial. One family member spit at a cameraman. Another shouted "I love you, Sandy" as they exited the courtroom.
- Travel Travelogue: News and Notes from Philly, San Diego and More 7 min 48 sec ago
- Politics Virginia's House Repeals Sodomy Ban 1 hour 7 min ago
- Crime WATCH: Gay Couple Attacked in NYC on 10th Anniversary 1 hour 13 min ago
- Theater Late Gay TV Star's Play Eyes Broadway 1 hour 57 min ago
- Commentary Why Is the St Patrick's Day Parade So Important to LGBT Activists? 1 hour 57 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Jeffrey: The Series Episode 7, ‘Velvet Rope’ 1 hour 59 min ago
- Religion Meet the Controversial Spiritual Adviser to Trans People 11:39 AM