Kerry would create firefighter's fund in name of gay priest
August 20 2004 12:00 AM ET
During an impassioned speech to the International Association of Fire Fighters convention in Boston on Thursday, Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry committed to creating a firefighters fund in the name of an openly gay priest who was killed in the September 11 terrorist attacks.
"When John Edwards and I are in the White House, we're going to fund the FIRE Act and the SAFER Act," he said. "We're going to create the Father Mychal Judge Fund to hire 100,000 new firefighters all across America. And we're going to be an administration that stands with labor. Let us never forget that every single one of the firefighters who went up the stairs of those burning towers, and through the doors of that warehouse in Worcester, all of them were members of organized labor. They believed in the right to organize, the right to overtime pay, the right to have a Secretary of Labor who comes from labor. And we do too. Those are our values, and we're going to live and lead by them every day that we're in the White House. And that's how we're going to get the job done."
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go'
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM