Minor league baseball employees fired after cracking gay jokes
August 25 2004 11:00 PM ET
The public address announcer and the scoreboard operator for the Atlantic City Surf baseball team have been fired for making jokes about Gov. James E. McGreevey's sexual orientation during games last week. Announcer Greg Maiuro and scoreboard operator Marco Cerino were fired by the team's owners after team general manager Mario Perrucci apologized publicly for their actions. "It's an unfortunate situation, and we took action," Perrucci told The Press of Atlantic City.
Maiuro drew the owners' ire by dedicating a between-innings rendition of the song "YMCA" to McGreevey during a game on August 17, less than a week after New Jersey's governor stunned the state by announcing that he had had an extramarital affair with a man and would resign from office. The 1970s hit song by the Village People is widely considered a gay anthem. The following night, Cerino posted the message, "Sponsored by Gov. Jim McGreevey," on the scoreboard when the song was played.
"I was told what I did was wrong," said Maiuro, the Atlantic League team's announcer for two seasons and the host of a Surf pregame radio show. "I can see where you don't want to mix politics and baseball. I would have been willing to apologize."
Not good enough, said co-owner Frank Boulton, who along with partner Tony Rosenthal decided to fire the pair on Monday. "Any time anyone speaks representing the Surf, they have to understand that we don't politicize," Boulton said. "It's not our place to do so. And it's just disrespectful."
- Women 19 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Saskia de Brauw 9 min 50 sec ago
- Television Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower 11 min 2 sec ago
- Travel WATCH: Jeff Koons, John Waters Discuss Art 23 min 36 sec ago
- Tyler Curry Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality 34 min 20 sec ago
- World World Bank President Withdraws From Panel on 'Economic Impact of Homophobia' 1 hour 18 min ago
- Transgender Google's International Women's Day Doodle Includes Trans Women 1 hour 24 min ago
- Sports College Swimmer Comes Out to Religious Mom 1 hour 44 min ago