Republican congresswoman Mary Bono will not attend national convention
August 27 2004 12:00 AM ET
California Republican congresswoman Mary Bono, stepmother to out author and activist Chastity Bono, will skip the Republican national convention next week in New York City, partly because she disagrees with President Bush's stance on marriage equality for same-sex couples, The [Palm Springs] Desert Sun reported Thursday.
She told the newspaper that a large number of her constituents are gay and lesbian and that Bush's support of the antigay Federal Marriage Amendment is not popular among them. She also won't be attending because the party already has a nominee and that the logistics of traveling to New York will be chaotic. "I've been to the last three conventions," Bono told the newspaper. "I felt, in all honesty, that I don't know how it benefits the district, how it benefits me, and how it benefits the party. The outcome has already been decided."
Bono does not support same-sex marriage but was only one of 17 Republicans to vote against the "marriage protection" bill that came before the U.S. House of Representatives last month. The newspaper reported that she supports the provision to the Republican platform offered by gay political group Log Cabin Republicans, which would have acknowledged that the party has different viewpoints. That provision was rejected on Wednesday.
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 1 hour 5 min ago
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM