Second judge in Washington State rules gay marriage ban unconstitutional
September 07 2004 11:00 PM ET
Echoing the ruling of another local court, a Thurston County, Wash., judge ruled Tuesday that Washington State's ban on same-sex marriage is unconstitutional.
A King County judge had ruled in favor of gay marriage rights in a separate case last month. Both cases will now go to the state supreme court, where they will likely be consolidated. "For the government, this is not a moral issue. It is a legal issue," wrote Thurston County superior court judge Richard Hicks in his ruling, posted Tuesday on the court's Web site.
Hicks acknowledged that the intent of the state's 1998 Defense of Marriage Act was very clear: Legislators wanted to limit marriage to a union between one man and one woman. But, Hicks said, that law directly conflicts with the state constitution.
"What fails strict scrutiny here is a government-approved civil contract for one class of the community not given to another class of the community," Hicks wrote. "Democracy means people with different values living together as one people. What can reconcile our differences is the feeling that with these differences we are still one people. This is the democracy of conscience."
The plaintiffs in the Thurston County suit, filed in April, are 11 gay and lesbian couples from across the state. An attorney from the American Civil Liberties Union argued their case in court last week. The King County suit was filed in March on behalf of six couples.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 1 hour 32 min ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM