Ugandan radio station fined for broadcasting gay interview
October 05 2004 12:00 AM ET
Ugandan authorities have slapped a $1,000 fine on a private radio station for broadcasting a show that featured three gay people talking about their lives in Uganda, the nation's information minister said Monday. The show contained no explicit sexual content, but the Ugandan Broadcasting Council fined Radio Simba FM for promoting pornography and corrupting public morals, said information minister James Nsaba Buturo.
The show aired on August 26 and featured two gay men and a lesbian talking about discrimination in the East African country and appealing to listeners to respect their rights.
"We fined the radio station because they gave audience to the homosexuals. By doing so, we are sending a message of warning to all other radios intending to do the same to stop," Buturo said. "What they did was against the law and those breaking the law are punished."
Ugandan law prohibits sex between two people of the same gender, but there is no specific statute against broadcasting radio shows that feature gay men and lesbians.
Simba FM operates on a tight budget, and the station may go to court to challenge the fine, said Joshua Kyalimpa, a producer at Simba. "We are consulting our lawyers to see how we can push this issue to justice," Kyalimpa said. "If we give people an opportunity to express themselves, we believe we are not breaking any law." There are about 50 radio stations operating in Uganda, a country of about 25 million people.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM