Last locally owned gay bookstore closes in New York City
December 07 2004 1:00 AM ET
The owner of Creative Visions, New York City's only remaining locally owned gay bookstore, has announced that he will close the West Village shop on December 31 after 14 years in business. Citing a number of difficulties, Vincent Migliore, who inherited the store after the death of his partner, Randy P. Glaser, has decided that closing the store on Hudson Street remains his only option. Creative Visions' online store, CreativeVisionsBooks.com, will remain open.
Since the near-closing of the gay Oscar Wilde Bookshop last year--before it was bought by Washington, D.C.-based Lambda Rising--New York City has been faced with a decreasing number of gay-owned or gay-friendly literary outlets. Creative Visions had long worked in collaboration with other gay and lesbian businesses and organizations and also fostered awareness of gay and lesbian writers through its monthly reading series.
In a letter sent to his customers, Migliore cited the loss of business due to the 9/11 tragedy and competition from the Internet among the many reasons for his decision to close. He also expressed his regret and gratitude. "Thank you deeply, truly, and sincerely for your patronage over these many happy and full 14 years," he wrote. "We will miss each of you."
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 49 min 35 sec ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM