London teacher jailed for lesbian affair with pupil
December 10 2004 1:00 AM ET
A woman teacher in London who had a lesbian affair with a pupil was sentenced on Thursday to a year in prison. Justine Rowe, 34, pleaded guilty to four counts of engaging in a sexual activity while in a position of trust at her school in Berkshire, west of London, between January and October 2002. The affair began with kisses and text messages when the girl was 15 and later became sexual. The age of sexual consent in Britain is 16.
Judge Zoe Smith at Reading crown court barred Rowe from working with children and put her on a sex offender's register for 10 years. She said the English teacher was a "disgrace" to her school, which cannot be named for legal reasons. The pupil's identity was also withheld.
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed March 13 2014 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' March 13 2014 4:25 PM