Gay man kills, eats lover
December 18 2004 1:00 AM ET
A man accused of killing, cooking, and eating his companion acknowledged having committed the crime and said the victim "tasted like lamb." "The meat tasted like lamb, and if they'd let me, I would have eaten it all," said suspect Gumaro de Dios Arias, 28, following a court appearance in Playa del Carmen, about 36 miles south of the Caribbean resort of Cancun, Mexico.
Arias's first name had initially been reported as Amado, apparently because he was not speaking clearly when police found him passed out next to the corpse of his victim on Tuesday. He said he killed the victim, Raul Gonzalez, 19, on Friday because the man had failed to buy Arias drugs with money he had received for that purpose.
Afterward, Arias apparently tried to make a vegetable stew with portions of the body, but didn't like it, so instead he began to roast sections of the corpse, police said. "I ate about 2.5 kilograms [5.5 pounds]," Arias said. "It tasted very good."
Arias was apparently under the effects of sniffing glue when he allegedly killed the man by hitting him in the head with a blunt object; the body was missing slices from its legs and internal organs when found hanging from the rafters of a hut in Playa del Carmen. The judge in the case has several days to decide whether to hold Arias over for trial on charges of homicide.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Rep. Steve King Wants Congress to Denounce Supreme Court's Marriage Equality Ruling
- Meet the First Trans Pastor Officially Ordained by the Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- Hillary Clinton's Kind Words to Gay Kid 'Afraid' for His Future
- President Obama Has Not Called for LGBT National Holiday