Point Foundation Expands Scholarships for LGBT Youths
January 08 2005 1:00 AM ET
The Point Foundation, the first national foundation to support academic achievement in higher education by lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender youths, has opened its 2005 application season by announcing 10 new scholarships.
This year Point will offer three additional scholarships for undergraduates at American University in Washington, D.C., funded through the foundation's Carlos Enrique Cisneros Scholarship Fund; five new scholarships to San Diego-area students, funded by San Diego-area community leaders Norman Blachford and Peter Cooper; and two new scholarships, sponsored by MTV and mtvU, for students attending colleges or universities that broadcast the mtvU campus television network.
In addition, the foundation increased the total number of scholarships for 2005-2006. "Last year more than 1,000 deserving students opened applications with us," said Vance Lancaster, the Point Foundation's executive director. "We are thrilled to move a little closer to meeting the demand for support in the transition from high school to college and from college to career or graduate studies. So many young people get lost in these transitions. This is even more true for gay youth who have lost the support of their families and friends."
Point scholars are chosen for their demonstrated leadership, scholastic achievement, extracurricular activities, involvement in the gay and lesbian community, and financial or emotional need. Point scholars are currently attending many of the nation's most prestigious universities, including Princeton, Harvard, Stanford, UCLA, the University of North Carolina, and many others.
The application deadline for this year's scholarships is March 1. The application process is open to students nationwide for both undergraduate and graduate studies. For additional information visit www.thepointfoundation.org.
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris, Behind the Shoot 35 min 8 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 2 hours 28 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 2 hours 54 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 7:00 AM
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 6:01 AM
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM