Transgender police officer files civil rights complaint
January 27 2005 1:00 AM ET
A transgender Oklahoma City police officer has filed a civil rights complaint accusing the police department of trying to force her to quit. Officer Paula Schonauer filed the complaint January 14 with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Police chief Bill Citty was unaware of Schonauer's latest complaint, said Sgt. Charles Phillips, assistant public information officer. "The chief's comment is that he has not been notified of the complaint at
this point, and he wants to reiterate that Officer Schonauer is still an active employee of the Oklahoma City Police Department, and the department will respond as required to any complaints as we receive them," Phillips said.
Schonauer first filed a complaint with the EEOC in March, accusing the department of creating a hostile work environment for her. She filed a second EEOC complaint in May, alleging she suffered retaliation for filing the first complaint. The March and May complaints became the basis for separate lawsuits Schonauer filed against the city, one in September and another in December.
The lawsuits were filed to meet the statute of limitations--a legal time limit for filing certain kinds of cases--and were never served on the city, Schonauer's lawyer, Doug Friesen, said at the time. Schonauer returned to work Thursday. She had been on paid administrative leave since September after being reassigned in May to a job taking police reports. She had been a street officer. (AP)
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians 24 min 27 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 1 hour 31 min ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 1 hour 38 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 1 hour 41 min ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 6:08 PM
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 5:56 PM