Same-sex marriage among top issues in N.H.
January 04 2006 1:00 AM ET
be strictly a union of one man and one woman? That's a
question facing New Hampshire lawmakers when they
Lawmakers will be asked to consider amending the
constitution to state that marriage is a union of one
man and one woman. State law bans same-sex marriages,
but it would be easier to repeal the law than
to rescind a constitutional amendment.
A committee established to study New Hampshire's
marriage laws recommended that same-sex couples be
denied legal status and be allowed only a minimum of
benefits available to straight couples. The panel's
minority accused the majority of putting gays on trial
rather than seriously studying the issues. (AP)
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50, 3rd Edition
- New Details Emerge as Officials Rule Leelah Alcorn's Death a 'Suicide'
- Mayweather, Pacquiao: Two Checkered Pasts with LGBTs, One with Women
- WATCH: Being Gay Is 'Death Worthy,' According to Georgia Church Sign
- Rick Santorum Defends Bruce Jenner: 'He's a Woman'
- Bevy Smith, Bravo's Queen of Fashion