Florida teacher victim of antigay hate crime
March 03 2006 1:00 AM ET
teacher in Florida says he was beaten outside his school
because his attackers had the idea that he is gay. Police
have labeled the attack a hate crime.
had been substituting for the day at the Grand Park Career
Center in northwest Jacksonville. He said several students
beat him while shouting homophobic slurs just outside
the front gate of the school.
officials said it happened off their property and that
they're not sure the attackers were students at the school.
Miller claimed they were. He believes he became a
target after an argument in the classroom. He'll take
a few days off to recover, he said, adding
that the attack will not stop him from teaching in the
- Federal Judge Upholds Puerto Rico Marriage Ban
- Op-ed: Be a Lady, Not a Tramp
- Trans Woman Dares Bible-Quoting Councilman to Stone Her to Death
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Michael Sam Released From Dallas Cowboys, Vows to Fight for Opportunity to 'Play Every Sunday'
- Last-Minute Gift Ideas for the Catholic Who Suddenly Wants to Be Friends