Big Gay Following: Anna Faris
BY Brandon Voss
July 30 2008 12:00 AM ET
There are some butch sorority sisters in The House Bunny. Was there ever any discussion of making one of them a lesbian?
Well, one of our characters is a feminist and certainly not interested in guys. We wanted only a couple of the characters to get with guys at the end, because we didn’t want to make a movie that was necessarily based around the women’s sexuality; we wanted the story to be about the female friendship. But having said that, there might be plenty of room for that in the sequel.
Shelley’s kicked out of the Playboy Mansion for being too old at 27. At 31, are you already feeling the pressures of aging in Hollywood in these very Miley Cyrus times?
Yeah, it manifests itself in so many different ways. Even when I was on set, working with these 18-year-old actresses who are able to eat whatever they want to because they have such great metabolisms, and I’m eating my raw almonds and turkey slices, I was totally annoyed. But I feel like I’m in this for the long haul. I’d love to be Betty White, working at 86. I consider myself a bit of a character actress, so I’d love to continue down that road, and I like to think that’s ageless.
The Scary Movie franchise flirts with potentially offensive homophobic humor, such as the Brokeback Mountain parody in Scary Movie 4. As an actress, where do you draw the line?
I feel like I’ve been broken in so early on, I rarely feel offended — and I don’t know if that’s a good or a bad thing. I certainly was easily offended in college by fraternities and that whole guy-pack mentality, especially in terms of homophobia and sexism, but now it’s really hard to offend me.
But 2005’s Waiting… took the “fag” jokes pretty far.
I know. It’s so obviously homophobic, it’s not even funny anymore. That kind of humor is played out and so young. So I’m not offended, but I don’t necessarily find it funny either.
On the last season of Friends, your character, Erica, gave her baby up to Monica and Chandler for adoption. I imagine that your uterus would be in high demand amongst gay couples, Anna.
Oh, thank you! It’s funny, I just asked one of my best friends, “Can you have my baby for me so I don’t have any stretch marks.” And she agreed to. [Laughs] If the people are close in your life, I think it would be a wonderful gift to give somebody. But I’d need a lot of money, though. [Laughs]
Who is your closest gay friend?
My makeup artist, Jake Bailey, has become one of my dearest friends. We’ve been friends for about three or four years now and have become very close. After a few glasses of wine, he told me all about his experiences coming out, and I told him all about my first [sexual] experiences as well — and they seemed just as painful.
Though many dismiss it as body-switching teen fluff, couldn’t 2002’s The Hot Chick actually be a cleverly disguised celebration of transgenderism?
I love that you asked me that. My parents and I were just talking about that. I don’t think anything about The Hot Chick should be overanalyzed, but I do think that it was about a girl’s love for her best friend, and the lines get blurred there sexually. I think that’s something that everyone sort of experiences, especially young women.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Business P.R. Agency Adds LGBT Practice 17 min 41 sec ago
- Travel A Tour Through the San Francisco of Looking, Season One 20 min 16 sec ago
- Women Houston Lesbian Couple Found Murdered, Cops Searching for Suspect 23 min 29 sec ago
- Women WATCH: 10 Worst Ways to Pick Up a Lesbian 25 min 52 sec ago
- Parenting Ubbas: The Golden Shower Toy 1 hour 21 min ago
- Russia WATCH: Moscow LGBT Demonstrators Attacked 1 hour 24 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lost Girl's Zoie Palmer Thanks Female Partner at Canadian Film Awards 1 hour 37 min ago