Big Gay Following: Jon Hamm
BY Brandon Voss
August 13 2008 12:00 AM ET
What about Keanu Reeves, whom you worked with on the upcoming remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still?
You look at Keanu Reeves and you think, You gotta be kidding me. I think Iâ€™m a pretty good-looking guy, but câ€™mon, man, thatâ€™s not fair! And he couldnâ€™t be nicer or more laid-back or more of a regular cat. Itâ€™s like, Wow, youâ€™ve got the whole package? Really?
When you were on The Division from 2002 to 2004, were you aware that the Lifetime network was television for women and gay men?
Yes, I was. And I was sort of the token man on that show too. Being the emasculated perfect man is a challenge, so itâ€™s nice to be able to explore the other side of that on Mad Men.
You played the beefcake in other â€śchickâ€ť series, such as Providence, Gilmore Girls, and Charmed. Did that put pressure on you to maintain a physique?
Iâ€™m not really a health and fitness nut, and Iâ€™m not a gym guy. I canâ€™t do repetitive motions; it makes me crazy. But I do live in a beautiful part of Los Angeles thatâ€™s really near Griffith Park, so Iâ€™m able to go outdoors with the dogs, go hiking in the hills, and play tennis and golf. I much prefer playing a game or anything that takes your mind off of the fact that youâ€™re working out.
Have you ever played a gay role?
I played Cliff Bradshaw in Cabaret in college, and thereâ€™s very clearly at least a bisexual side to that cat. Talk about the swinging years â€” the Weimar Republic back in Berlin in the â€™30s, which gets back to my point that with sexuality itâ€™s not one or the other.
So are you itching to play a gay role on-screen?
Well, câ€™mon, if I want to win awards, letâ€™s talk gay. [Laughs] Now, if I were a mentally disabled gay man, Iâ€™d hit all the boxes. If thereâ€™s a great part out there, sure. For me, itâ€™s much more about being a part of telling a great story. After the first audition for Mad Men, I said, â€śI will do any part in this script.â€ť I just wanted to be a part of telling this story.
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry â€” Each Other
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry â€” Each Other 1 hour 19 min ago
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 1 hour 55 min ago
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs 1 hour 57 min ago
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 2 hours 24 min ago
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 2 hours 55 min ago
- Politicians President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech 4:59 PM
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 3:42 PM