Elton John Returns to Wyoming for Matthew Shepard
BY Ross von Metzke
February 28 2009 1:00 AM ET
Ten years after his first concert to benefit the Matthew Shepard Foundation, Elton John is returning to Laramie, Wyo., for a stop on his Rocket Man - Number Ones tour.
John will be performing at Laramie's Arena Auditorium on Friday, April 3. The longtime supporter of the Matthew Shepard Foundation will be performing hits from throughout his four-decade career.
"Ten years ago Sir Elton did a concert in Laramie to benefit the foundation," Judy Shepard, Matthew's mother and the executive director of the Matthew Shepard Foundation, said in a statement. "It was wonderful beyond description. He is a gracious and generous human being. We are sincerely grateful for his continuing support."
John was one of the first celebrities to approach Matthew Shepard's family and offer to lend his support, Matthew Shepard Foundation development director Andrew Tweedie told Advocate.com.
"He has been a major gift to us and we are thrilled to have his support," Tweedie said.
The Matthew Shepard Foundation was founded by Dennis and Judy Shepard in memory of Matthew Shepard, their 21-year-old son who was murdered in an antigay hate crime in Wyoming in October 1998.
Proceeds from the event will benefit the Matthew Shepard Foundation.
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 1 hour 35 min ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM