Sullivan: Religiously Faithful, Be Politically Reasonable
BY Trudy Ring
April 09 2012 4:28 PM ET
Gay Catholic writer Andrew Sullivan is at the center of religious discourse this week, with a provocative cover story in Newsweek and an appearance on CBS’s Face the Nation.
Sullivan’s Newsweek story laments the politicization of Christianity. “The crisis of Christianity is perhaps best captured in the new meaning of the word ‘secular,’” he writes. “It once meant belief in separating the spheres of faith and politics; it now means, for many, simply atheism. The ability to be faithful in a religious space and reasonable in a political one has atrophied before our eyes.” Not that Christianity cannot inform politics he says, but he calls for “the kind of Christianity” that “seeks always to translate religious truths into reasoned, secular arguments that can appeal to those of other faiths and none at all.”
He also notes that “issues that Christianity obsesses over today” are nowhere to be found in the New Testament. “Jesus never spoke of homosexuality or abortion, and his only remarks on marriage were a condemnation of divorce (now commonplace among American Christians) and forgiveness for adultery,” Sullivan writes.
While Sullivan criticizes the use of religion by both conservatives and liberals, he finds the religious right much more powerful than the left — a point he debated with Richard Land, head of the Southern Baptist Convention, Sunday on Face the Nation. He says evangelical Protestants and conservative Catholics have “become fused with one political party, the Republican Party.” Watch two segments of the program below.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives Object
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 6 min 25 sec ago
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 1 hour 35 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM