Sullivan: Religiously Faithful, Be Politically Reasonable
BY Trudy Ring
April 09 2012 5:28 PM ET
Gay Catholic writer Andrew Sullivan is at the center of religious discourse this week, with a provocative cover story in Newsweek and an appearance on CBS’s Face the Nation.
Sullivan’s Newsweek story laments the politicization of Christianity. “The crisis of Christianity is perhaps best captured in the new meaning of the word ‘secular,’” he writes. “It once meant belief in separating the spheres of faith and politics; it now means, for many, simply atheism. The ability to be faithful in a religious space and reasonable in a political one has atrophied before our eyes.” Not that Christianity cannot inform politics he says, but he calls for “the kind of Christianity” that “seeks always to translate religious truths into reasoned, secular arguments that can appeal to those of other faiths and none at all.”
He also notes that “issues that Christianity obsesses over today” are nowhere to be found in the New Testament. “Jesus never spoke of homosexuality or abortion, and his only remarks on marriage were a condemnation of divorce (now commonplace among American Christians) and forgiveness for adultery,” Sullivan writes.
While Sullivan criticizes the use of religion by both conservatives and liberals, he finds the religious right much more powerful than the left — a point he debated with Richard Land, head of the Southern Baptist Convention, Sunday on Face the Nation. He says evangelical Protestants and conservative Catholics have “become fused with one political party, the Republican Party.” Watch two segments of the program below.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- Current Issue Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly 25 min 10 sec ago
- Transgender How New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Inmates 33 min 5 sec ago
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM