Catholic Church Tells Archbishop No Thanks on Signature Drive
BY Lucas Grindley
April 12 2012 1:44 PM ET
At least one pastor is refusing to go along with a plan to use Washington's Catholic churches as signature-gathering centers in an effort to repeal the state's marriage equality law.
St. James Cathedral won't be taking part in the campaign to add a repeal of the marriage equality law to the ballot in November, its lead pastor announced in a letter to parishioners. Father Michael Ryan said it would be "hurtful and seriously divisive" to go ahead with the plan from Seattle Archbishop Peter Sartain.
"While the Archbishop has given his support to the effort, he has wisely left it up to each pastor to decide whether to allow the collection of signatures in his own parish," wrote Father Michael Ryan of St. James Cathedral, according to The Stranger. "After discussing the matter with the members of the Cathedral's pastoral ministry team, I have decided that we will not participate in the collecting of signatures in our parish. Doing so would, I believe, prove hurtful and seriously divisive in our community."
Ryan wasn't the only Catholic to balk at the idea. Governor Christine Gregoire is a Catholic and signed the bill into law. State Sen. Ed Murray, who is gay and Catholic, was a major backer and called the archbishop's decision "repressible."
Opponents of same-sex marriage have to collect 120,577 petition signatures before June 6 in order to add a repeal to the ballot.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- The Brains Behind Husbands
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 32 min 1 sec ago
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 1 hour 29 min ago
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 1 hour 32 min ago
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM