Dueling Bus Ads: Pro-Marriage Versus Ex-Gay
BY Lucas Grindley
April 13 2012 9:00 AM ET
The debate over marriage equality in Britain had almost devolved into one about whether gay people can be turned straight.
Advertisements purchased by the Stonewall LGBT rights group on London's iconic buses had said "Some people are gay. Get over it." Then a group supporting so-called reparative therapy bought dueling ads mocking the original.
The counter-ads read: "Not gay! Post-gay, ex-gay and proud. Get over it!"
Core Issues Trust, led by Mike Davidson, had bought the messages, which looked exactly like the ones created by the LGBT rights group. But the new version will never make their way onto London's streets because the mayor has intervened to stop it.
"London is one of the most tolerant cities in the world and intolerant of intolerance," Mayor Boris Johnson told the Guardian, which first reported this story. "It is clearly offensive to suggest that being gay is an illness that someone recovers from and I am not prepared to have that suggestion driven around London on our buses."
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM