N.C. Governor Says Ban Would Harm Long List of People
BY Lucas Grindley
April 13 2012 8:00 AM ET
With days before a vote on an amendment to the state constitution to ban same-sex marriage, North Carolina's outgoing governor has issued her most stinging rebuke of the idea yet.
"The amendment, I believe is dangerous for women," says Bev Perdue a a video message posted online. "There is a real risk that some of the laws we have on the books now to protect the victims of domestic violence may no longer apply to many women in this state."
Perdue, a Democrat, could be fitting Amendment One in with a larger national narrative of policies being pressed by Republicans against women, a key demographic group in the presidential election. But she also outlines how the proposal harms children, unmarried couples and others. In the past, she's said it will harm the economy.
"Writing discrimination into North Carolina's constitution is just plain wrong," she said, promising a vote against it May 8.
Watch her complete message below. And Perdue will reportedly follow it up with a "major" speech against the amendment today in North Carolina.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Health News AIDS Deaths Plummet In Africa 2 min 51 sec ago
- Military PHOTOS: Shirtless, Sweaty Naval Academy Freshman Climb Greased Obelisk 13 min 19 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer and Amber Tamblyn Watch Porn and Make Out 25 min 57 sec ago
- Art When Shel Silverstein Covered Fire Island for Playboy 34 min 33 sec ago
- Entertainment News Filmmaker Needs Help to Penetrate the South 1 hour 16 min ago
- Commentary NYC Hate Crimes: Why I'm Afraid for First Time in My Life 1 hour 34 min ago
- Women WATCH: Portia de Rossi Spills Ellen's Most Annoying Habit to Jennifer Aniston 1 hour 57 min ago