N.C. Governor Says Ban Would Harm Long List of People
BY Lucas Grindley
April 13 2012 7:00 AM ET
With days before a vote on an amendment to the state constitution to ban same-sex marriage, North Carolina's outgoing governor has issued her most stinging rebuke of the idea yet.
"The amendment, I believe is dangerous for women," says Bev Perdue a a video message posted online. "There is a real risk that some of the laws we have on the books now to protect the victims of domestic violence may no longer apply to many women in this state."
Perdue, a Democrat, could be fitting Amendment One in with a larger national narrative of policies being pressed by Republicans against women, a key demographic group in the presidential election. But she also outlines how the proposal harms children, unmarried couples and others. In the past, she's said it will harm the economy.
"Writing discrimination into North Carolina's constitution is just plain wrong," she said, promising a vote against it May 8.
Watch her complete message below. And Perdue will reportedly follow it up with a "major" speech against the amendment today in North Carolina.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit December 09 2013 9:41 PM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM