Tony Perkins: DADT Repeal Led to Prostitution Scandal
BY Lucas Grindley
April 17 2012 7:53 PM ET
President Obama shouldn't be surprised that the Secret Service solicited prostitutes during a trip to Columbia, Tony Perkins says, because that's what happens when you repeal the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
"You cannot maintain moral order if you are willing to allow a few things to slide," said Perkins, president of the Family Research Council, on his radio show.
The comments, caught by Right Wing Watch, came during a discussion about why Republicans should do more on "the homosexuality issue," as fellow commentator Janet Mefferd put it.
Perkins said the Secret Service scandal is merely a symptom of the "total breakdown" in morality of the larger Obama administration.
"We intuitively know it’s wrong, there’s a moral law against that," Perkins said of prostitution. "The same is true for what the president has done to the military enforcing open homosexuality in our military. You can change the law but you can’t change the moral law that’s behind it."
Perkins went even further in his comparison of homosexuality to prostitution in a newsletter sent today to its followers. He said DADT repeal "introduced a new chapter of promiscuity into the U.S. military."
"On one hand, the administration has tried to force our military to embrace homosexuality by making unnatural and immoral sex legal — and on the other, it's outraged that its military is engaging in another form of legal but immoral sex," Perkins wrote. "Both behaviors are inappropriate, unhealthy, and destructive. Yet only one seems to incense government officials."
Perkins is listed by the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation in its Commentator Accountability Project database because of his repeatedly off-base beliefs about LGBT people. GLAAD wants cable networks to stop inviting him as a guest on their programs because it says he's not a legitimate representative of religious people's views.
And the Southern Poverty Law Center has classified the Family Research Council as a "hate group" because of its antigay ideology.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM