Tony Perkins: DADT Repeal Led to Prostitution Scandal
BY Lucas Grindley
April 17 2012 6:53 PM ET
President Obama shouldn't be surprised that the Secret Service solicited prostitutes during a trip to Columbia, Tony Perkins says, because that's what happens when you repeal the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
"You cannot maintain moral order if you are willing to allow a few things to slide," said Perkins, president of the Family Research Council, on his radio show.
The comments, caught by Right Wing Watch, came during a discussion about why Republicans should do more on "the homosexuality issue," as fellow commentator Janet Mefferd put it.
Perkins said the Secret Service scandal is merely a symptom of the "total breakdown" in morality of the larger Obama administration.
"We intuitively know it’s wrong, there’s a moral law against that," Perkins said of prostitution. "The same is true for what the president has done to the military enforcing open homosexuality in our military. You can change the law but you can’t change the moral law that’s behind it."
Perkins went even further in his comparison of homosexuality to prostitution in a newsletter sent today to its followers. He said DADT repeal "introduced a new chapter of promiscuity into the U.S. military."
"On one hand, the administration has tried to force our military to embrace homosexuality by making unnatural and immoral sex legal — and on the other, it's outraged that its military is engaging in another form of legal but immoral sex," Perkins wrote. "Both behaviors are inappropriate, unhealthy, and destructive. Yet only one seems to incense government officials."
Perkins is listed by the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation in its Commentator Accountability Project database because of his repeatedly off-base beliefs about LGBT people. GLAAD wants cable networks to stop inviting him as a guest on their programs because it says he's not a legitimate representative of religious people's views.
And the Southern Poverty Law Center has classified the Family Research Council as a "hate group" because of its antigay ideology.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM