Maddow Takes On My So-Called Ex-Gay Life
BY Neal Broverman
April 19 2012 2:30 PM ET
Gabriel Arana spoke to Rachel Maddow about his shocking revelation that Dr. Robert Spitzer, a respected authority on LGBT health, told him he regretted giving credence to the "ex-gay" movement.
Arana's recent piece in The American Prospect was a big blow to "ex-gay" programs, which attempt to turn gay people straight. Arana described speaking to Spitzer, who in 2001 wrote a piece that suggested some gay people could change their orientation. Spitzer told Arana he regretted that decision and that it was mostly taken out of context. Spitzer, ironically, was one of the doctors in 1973 that helped remove homosexuality from the American Psychiatric Association's list of mental disorders.
Watch Arana and Maddow discuss the doctor below.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 2 hours 40 min ago
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM