Maddow Takes On My So-Called Ex-Gay Life
BY Neal Broverman
April 19 2012 2:30 PM ET
Gabriel Arana spoke to Rachel Maddow about his shocking revelation that Dr. Robert Spitzer, a respected authority on LGBT health, told him he regretted giving credence to the "ex-gay" movement.
Arana's recent piece in The American Prospect was a big blow to "ex-gay" programs, which attempt to turn gay people straight. Arana described speaking to Spitzer, who in 2001 wrote a piece that suggested some gay people could change their orientation. Spitzer told Arana he regretted that decision and that it was mostly taken out of context. Spitzer, ironically, was one of the doctors in 1973 that helped remove homosexuality from the American Psychiatric Association's list of mental disorders.
Watch Arana and Maddow discuss the doctor below.
- Op-Ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- Commentary Op-Ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth 1 hour 19 min ago
- Current Issue Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly 2 hours 19 min ago
- Transgender How New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Inmates 2 hours 27 min ago
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM