Maddow Takes On My So-Called Ex-Gay Life
BY Neal Broverman
April 19 2012 1:30 PM ET
Gabriel Arana spoke to Rachel Maddow about his shocking revelation that Dr. Robert Spitzer, a respected authority on LGBT health, told him he regretted giving credence to the "ex-gay" movement.
Arana's recent piece in The American Prospect was a big blow to "ex-gay" programs, which attempt to turn gay people straight. Arana described speaking to Spitzer, who in 2001 wrote a piece that suggested some gay people could change their orientation. Spitzer told Arana he regretted that decision and that it was mostly taken out of context. Spitzer, ironically, was one of the doctors in 1973 that helped remove homosexuality from the American Psychiatric Association's list of mental disorders.
Watch Arana and Maddow discuss the doctor below.
- Sports Chicago Gay Hockey Association Wins at Celebrating Christmas 22 min 13 sec ago
- Entertainment News Paul Rudd On Witnessing a Drag Queen Brawl 49 min 6 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Airline 51 min 58 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel Gay Couples to Wed Atop 2014 Rose Parade Float 1 hour 23 min ago
- Music The Shondes: On Mixing Music & Politics 1 hour 24 min ago
- Travel London's Gay Travel Expo: Pool Party, Models, Giant Shoes 2 hours 6 min ago
- Entertainment News WATCH: Underwear Models for Affordable Healthcare 2 hours 7 min ago