Maddow, NBCUniversal Work to Dismiss $50M Lawsuit
BY Neal Broverman
April 21 2012 12:05 PM ET
Rachel Maddow and attorneys with NBCUniversal, the parent company of MSNBC, say a $50 million defamation lawsuit brought against her by an antigay zealot is frivolous and needs to be tossed.
Rocker/preacher/radio host Bradlee Dean is suing the popular television host, saying she defamed him on her show by reading a speech he made that stated Muslims who want gays killed are "more moral than American Christians."
But Maddow took Dean's words verbatim, only truncating his entire speech. This is Dean's second lawsuit against Maddow. He claims that the lesbian host pushes a "radical gay agenda" and advocates for liberal causes like reproductive rights. Maddow's attorneys responded to the suit last week, saying the First Amendment allows the host to air her views, and the lawsuit is an attempt by Dean to separate himself from the comments, which he was harangued for. Read more here.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 59 min 36 sec ago
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 1 hour 24 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM