BY Michelle Garcia
August 11 2011 1:45 AM ET
With groups like the American Psychological Association and the American Medical Association and their solid positions that sexual orientation is innate, it's no secret that science is on the side of gay people. Admittedly, though, a remarkable statistic or an incredibly in-depth scientific study on something that seems ridiculous tends to catch our eyes. After Republicans raised a furor over a recent government study regarding penis size and the sexual tendencies of gay men, we decided to take a look at some of the most provocative, shocking, and not-so-shocking studies reported on Advocate.com.
Fruit fly study could prove genetic origin of sexual orientation
2005: It doesn't scientifically prove that gay men and lesbians are "hard-wired" with their sexual orientation before birth, but a study on the genes and sexual behavior of fruit flies is rocking the scientific community. Researchers at the Institute of Molecular Biotechnology at the Austrian Academy of Sciences in Vienna genetically altered a female fruit fly. When it was released into an observation chamber it took on the sexual personality of a male. The female tapped another female fruit fly on the leg, played her a mating song with its wings, and then licked her.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 8:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM