BY Michelle Garcia
August 11 2011 1:45 AM ET
With groups like the American Psychological Association and the American Medical Association and their solid positions that sexual orientation is innate, it's no secret that science is on the side of gay people. Admittedly, though, a remarkable statistic or an incredibly in-depth scientific study on something that seems ridiculous tends to catch our eyes. After Republicans raised a furor over a recent government study regarding penis size and the sexual tendencies of gay men, we decided to take a look at some of the most provocative, shocking, and not-so-shocking studies reported on Advocate.com.
Fruit fly study could prove genetic origin of sexual orientation
2005: It doesn't scientifically prove that gay men and lesbians are "hard-wired" with their sexual orientation before birth, but a study on the genes and sexual behavior of fruit flies is rocking the scientific community. Researchers at the Institute of Molecular Biotechnology at the Austrian Academy of Sciences in Vienna genetically altered a female fruit fly. When it was released into an observation chamber it took on the sexual personality of a male. The female tapped another female fruit fly on the leg, played her a mating song with its wings, and then licked her.
- Westboro Baptist Joins the Anti-Kim Davis Bandwagon But the Reason May Surprise You
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- Donald Trump Takes a Day to Get Up to Speed on Kim Davis
- WATCH: Steve Grand Is Going to Be This Marine's Date to Marine Ball
- WATCH: Deaf Meets LGBT in New Romantic Series