BY Michelle Garcia
August 11 2011 1:45 AM ET
With groups like the American Psychological Association and the American Medical Association and their solid positions that sexual orientation is innate, it's no secret that science is on the side of gay people. Admittedly, though, a remarkable statistic or an incredibly in-depth scientific study on something that seems ridiculous tends to catch our eyes. After Republicans raised a furor over a recent government study regarding penis size and the sexual tendencies of gay men, we decided to take a look at some of the most provocative, shocking, and not-so-shocking studies reported on Advocate.com.
Fruit fly study could prove genetic origin of sexual orientation
2005: It doesn't scientifically prove that gay men and lesbians are "hard-wired" with their sexual orientation before birth, but a study on the genes and sexual behavior of fruit flies is rocking the scientific community. Researchers at the Institute of Molecular Biotechnology at the Austrian Academy of Sciences in Vienna genetically altered a female fruit fly. When it was released into an observation chamber it took on the sexual personality of a male. The female tapped another female fruit fly on the leg, played her a mating song with its wings, and then licked her.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert is a Lesbian Stereotype in Flannel and Birkenstocks 23 min 38 sec ago
- Women Lena Dunham Is NOT Amused By Lesbian Porn Parody of Girls 1 hour 5 min ago
- Music Gay Singer-Songwriter Deals with Heartbreak 1 hour 7 min ago
- Politics Obama Nominates Lesbian Attorney for Second EEOC Term 1 hour 7 min ago
- Theater New Play Criticizes Gay Minstrel Roles 1 hour 16 min ago
- Women Shot of the Day: WildFang's Tomboy Line Channels Androgynous Icons 1 hour 26 min ago
- Women WATCH: Real Lesbians Watch and Break Down 'Lesbian' Porn 1 hour 36 min ago