BY Michelle Garcia
August 11 2011 12:45 AM ET
With groups like the American Psychological Association and the American Medical Association and their solid positions that sexual orientation is innate, it's no secret that science is on the side of gay people. Admittedly, though, a remarkable statistic or an incredibly in-depth scientific study on something that seems ridiculous tends to catch our eyes. After Republicans raised a furor over a recent government study regarding penis size and the sexual tendencies of gay men, we decided to take a look at some of the most provocative, shocking, and not-so-shocking studies reported on Advocate.com.
Fruit fly study could prove genetic origin of sexual orientation
2005: It doesn't scientifically prove that gay men and lesbians are "hard-wired" with their sexual orientation before birth, but a study on the genes and sexual behavior of fruit flies is rocking the scientific community. Researchers at the Institute of Molecular Biotechnology at the Austrian Academy of Sciences in Vienna genetically altered a female fruit fly. When it was released into an observation chamber it took on the sexual personality of a male. The female tapped another female fruit fly on the leg, played her a mating song with its wings, and then licked her.
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: 'Idiotic' or 'Important?'
- Op-ed: Why LGBT Millennials Should Care About Adoption
- 29 Hot Gifts for the Homo Homebody
- Marriage Equality Virginia AG Asks Court to Dismiss Marriage Ban Challenge 33 min 2 sec ago
- Health WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' 1 hour 22 min ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 29 Hot Gifts for the Homo Homebody UPDATED: 1 hour 29 min ago
- Style Meet Sexy German Designer Working With Alan Cumming & ARMANI 1 hour 55 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Consumer Reports Now Ranks HIV Meds 2 hours 41 min ago
- Music 10 Singles You May Have Missed This Year 10:18 AM
- Acceptance Matters Confronting the 'Glitter Mafia' 10:00 AM