BY Michelle Garcia
August 11 2011 1:45 AM ET
"Gay" Caveman Likely a Media Myth
2011: Early reports excited us when archeologists unearthed a 5,000 year-old caveman skeleton outside of Prague that was being described as "the gay caveman." A couple of days later, however, historians and archaeologists expressed concern that media reports referring to the caveman may have been exaggerated. The remains are of a man lying on his left side and facing west, which is how many women of the time were laid to rest. The man also has items associated with females lying near him. But experts say there is no way to prove this man was gay; it would be speculation to even consider him transgender. He may be a "third gender," but, "in anthropology, you can't equate third gender with homosexuality," University of Wisconsin-Madison professor John Hawks was quoted as saying.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- PHOTOS: New Yorkers Combat Violence With Protest
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 2 hours 6 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 2 hours 10 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth May 21 2013 6:34 PM